Tuesday, March 1, 2016

QUESTION OF THE DAY: IS THE TERM "BLACK GIRLS" OFFENSIVE?

NO MORE BLACK GIRLS?

 Recently in a Facebook Group...a close friend posed the question...is the use of the term "Black Girls" demeaning or negative when referring to Black Women.

Now...I am a "Mere Man" and I never gave it any thought.

Knowing the great work done by groups like Black Girls Rock and Black Girls Run...I was inspired to start a facebook group called Black Girls Write!

And I have been working on some Black Girl Magic T-shirt Designs.

So to paraphrase BIG.

"Na Asked Me
So Now I'm asking You"

IS THE TERM "BLACK GIRLS" OFFENSIVE, NEGATIVE OR DEMEANING?




                                                       ________________________


COMING SOON
THE EARLY SHOW
WITH
RAYMOND TYLER

3 comments:

  1. Ordinarily it is offensive to be called a girl when you are a full fledged grown woman with very grown woman responsibilities that you are slaying. But for some reason, I feel a sense of solidarity and empowerment whenever any, "black girls...." are used. They say we can in a world that constantly tells us we can't or we shouldn't. Now, as I grow into a woman of a seasoned age, I probably wouldn't want the term used on me because it will sound and look ridiculous, but I think it's perfectly fine for the under 34 crowd. But good question. Thanks for asking and I look forward to those tshirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you believe I SHOULD Go FORWARD with "The Black Girl Magic" Line?

      Delete