Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Remembering Atlantic City's Chef Mike...


Right now my heart is heavy and my mind is trying to process the news I just heard.
Celebrity Chef , and Atlantic City's own Michael Stevenson has passed away.

If you didn't know...?

Mike and I grew up as biiiiiiiiiiiig hip hop heads.

Mike and I always talked about was how the culture of hip hop expanded beyond..dance,  graffiti, turntables and microphones. So that by the time we were in our 20's...he considered himself a hip hop/chef and I considered myself a hip hop writer. What we meant, was that out approach and attitude towards our selective crafts were inspired by the confidence and creativity that we felt every time we heard a Chuck D lyric or saw an emcee battle.

Mike always put himself and his own unique style into his dishes from prep to plate. He also had a number of events to celebrate his many milestones.

When ever we would get together we would thank God and AC for all that they gave us...and remark how incredible our lives had been. We were both walking around Maryland Ave as teens in the 1980's and we dreamed of doing big things....however God had blessed us to really achieve and enjoy some special moments. And Mike would do anything to help me and share any contact I could use.

I do not have the whole list of every one Mike cooked for but off the top of my head I know he was a major chef for The Washington NFL Football Team, he cooked for Hillary Clinton, Ludacris and MC Lyte. More important to me...was when I asked him to come and speak to the kids in our neighborhood he was there. I remember we both talked to the kids about growing up and having fun on Maryland Avenue. Then we also talked about hard work and being ready when the door opened for you to excel. We talked about using hip hop as a positive inspiration to dream big and live big. Lastly we charged the youth to come back (when we had too old) and to talk to the kids once they became successful adults.

Afterward we talked with each other again about being BLESSED!

Michael Steveson was my friend, my colleague and my brother....

Please join me in praying for his family and let's all thank God for what he was able to be, see and become.

I can't say I was ever prouder of anyone from my home town.

(I have more emotion than words so I will just end it here......)

No comments:

Post a Comment