Saturday, April 2, 2016

National Poetry Month Poem Number 2....GIFTS


Four years ago, today, God decided to call my father to rest. I have other pictures of my father and I.
I , however do not have others of us both looking so dapper.

Before I get to this poem.

I want to thank my family. My mom, my brother and his wife, my niece, my surviving aunts, cousins, and all my family.

I want to thank Michelle Davis my stylist at the time for putting me in this wonderful suit, that my father loved more than I did. (Dressing up was his thing.)

I want to thank Dr. Beverly Vaughn, we were just coming back from one of her concerts when we took this picture.

Make memories today with those you love because you never think you will be here writing about some one ...four year after they have gone.

GIFTS (for Raymond Tyler, SR.)

TOYS
I no longer have
The Godzilla
ACTION FIGURE
I got that Christmas
I will remember almost every hour
we "destroyed"
Japan
California
and
some other cities I made up just to have
Godzilla smash over and over again...
I still have the wild imagination of a 9 year old
with a plastic fire breathing lizard
and I thank you for...
encouraging IMAGINATION

I never got that swing set I wanted in the back
"yard"
I had pretty much outgrown
"do it yourself"
playgrounds
by the time I could spell playground
But
you never made me feel like a
FREAK
even when I felt like a
FREAK
always
TOO TALLL
always
TOO BIGGG
never able to Kid Around
with other KIDS
you helped me be more than just
some adjectives they use for 6ft teens... AND
You did buy me that
Basket Ball Hoop and put that in our yard
you taught me that even when I feel like a
"monster"
to feel sad for the people that would only be able to see
"how tall"
"how big"
"how strong"
and never be able to feel
"how kind"
"how loving"
"how funny"

GIFTS
I Don't Have The Happy Days Pin Ball Machine Anymore
I could probably retire on it if I did
I will always have the memory of you putting it together
at 3:45 am on a Christmas Morning
 
GIFTS
I don't have one ball or glove left
that you bought me
I will always have the many hours we talked about life and the future
while playing catch
and the memory of you
being at base ball games I barely played in
Gifts
The Art Supplies
The Classes
My Brother
The Example Of What The Word
FATHER
Means

no gift
that I could put in my pocket
or throw in a toy chest
or event deposit in my bank account
lasted that long
but the spirit
the love that was given
with the
balls, bats, books
lizards, comics, paints
records, posters, dollars
are still
brand new and just as precious
in my heart
(it's corny
but...true story)

_________________________________
Advertisement
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment