Monday, February 27, 2017

#OscarsSoTrump


First let me congratulate the film makers that made MOONLIGHT!

However, if a film about people of color were to win this year I would have preferred HIDDEN FIGURES by a lot and Moonlight not win at all.

I am not going to lie. If Hidden Figures HAD won best picture...I would still be complaining about The Great White Hope aspect. Also not a lie, while I have seen every interview about MOONLIGHT I could; I did not see the film MOONLIGHT.

I have seen this film over and over in real life from family to neighbors to kids I have mentored.

The crack mom, the ghetto painted as a dessert of hope and morals with a few kindly people offering OASIS.

In short for all the reasons people list that they don't like GOOD TIMES...(which I do like GOOD TIMES) ...I have a problem with about 75% of TV and films about Black People and Poverty that have been made since (films like Precious.)

So with out going into a longer explanation let me say ...

While the Oscars this year had more diversity.
They offered NO diversity of how they view Black American People.

The Oscar Academy only sees us when we are beholden to some one white to open a door for us...or if we embody the very worse of humanity.

At least with Hidden Figures, the film presents a story that in many ways empowers Black People in general and women of color especially.

Sad to say, that The Oscars have always gotten it WRONG with my people.

The closest to RIGHT they have gotten and most the dignified character they have ever celebrated of color was Sidney Poitier as Homer Smith in 1963's Lillies Of The Field (which I do enjoy.)

I say they got it wrong, however because Mr. Poiter's best role by far was in 1961's A Raisin in The Sun...a film the Oscars ignored all together.

So I am truly happy for the cast and producers of MOONLIGHT. Every artist is FREE to make the film they believe the world wants to see or REALLY they are free to make any film they want for any reason.

So this is not to disrespect Moonlight or the people involved.
However, if the judges and Donald Trump looked at the film choices and decided to send a message to America regarding how Black People are seen and thought...I'm banking both The Oscars and President Trump would have chosen the same film.

#OscarsSoTrump



ADVERTISING



Life Styles By Stella
609-276-8703







No comments:

Post a Comment