Monday, September 12, 2016

3 Things To Remember

On September 24th, DC unveils The National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Every one of every culture will and should celebrate this great event.
In fact I hope that with in my life time we also see national museums of Latino and Asian History and Culture.

I am as excited as any and planning my visit.

While we plan our church trips, fund raisers and school field trips I also want to offer 3 Things We All Should Remember as we celebrate!

1. CELEBRATE THE MUSEUMS AND CULTURE IN YOUR AREA!

In South Jersey (where I reside) we are all celebrating the new National Museum in DC.

With that said. South Jersey boasts not one but two very great museums dedicated to  African American History and Culture. One in Newtonville, NJ and one in Atlantic City at Stockton University's  Noyes Arts Garage. Both museums are founded and curated by Ralph Hunter.

In both spaces you can see great art and exhibits from both local and national interests.
Currently at The AC Museum you can see exhibits on The 1964 Democratic National Convention which was held in Atlantic City as well as a great exhibit on the late Muhammad Ali.

Recently I spoke with Mr. Hunter about an upcoming exhibit celebrating Jet and Ebony Founder Johnson H. Johnson.


So I plead with you to take the family (especially the kids and your non black friends) to local museums in your area as soon as possible.

2. Cultivate The Artists and Support The Artists In Your Area!

Every artist in every museum including The National Museum that's opening in Washington started as an amateur. Some one started the ball rolling with support until one day their work appeared in a museum.

I have been blessed with teachers, family and friends that have supported my poetry, art and other creative interests.

I encourage you to hang your children's art not just on the fridge but the living room. I ask you to visit a local poetry program or open mic. I even suggest one of the now popular paint parties.

Somewhere in your life is the next BIG ARTIST! Could be you if not some one you already know!

Artist Kelly Prevard is one of Atlantic City's accomplished and awarded artists.

3. Celebrate All Of Our History ...Including People We May Not Agree with...

One of my pet peeves with other people of color I have is... lack of perspective.
Our respect meter for people of note only has 2 settings.

Setting One is "Outstanding respect" for figures like Dr. King. And he deserves our respect.

The other setting is "WE HATE THIS PERSON" which is reserved for the likes of Clarence Thomas.
While I disagree with Justice Thomas on many things...okay maybe hundreds.

I am also reminded a clock that doesn't work at all is right twice a day.

Also Justice Thomas and his rulings are also Black History and we should shine a light on those we feel do not align with The Dr. King's and Malcolm X's. A little more understanding does not mean you are leaving behind your own beliefs.

Well that's my thought and let us know ...when you visit local or national museums and what artists you support!

________________________________________

Advertisements



Light Tastes will offer a business card raffle to see Kanye West Live!
For more info contact Raymond at RaymondCTyler@gmail.com
________________________________

Advertisement


For more info contact Raymond at RaymondCTyler@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment