Monday, June 27, 2016

EDITORIAL:I am NOT MAGIC...But I AM Real




Okay I am going to get serious for a moment...I didn't see Jesse Williams on The BET Awards
(Most awards shows have been an insult to my intelligence since the early 2000's so...)


My Facebook and Twitter after William's speech however, was a buzz with posts, that to me had all the integrity of tap dancing pancakes because this guy, Williams (who I don't what the heck he does)said "Even though we are magic. We are real."

But what does that statement even mean.

I am NOT magic.

I AM an artist, a DJ, a Writer.

I do however WORK HARD.

From my skills as a turntablist, to turning a phrase, that all took HARD WORK.

I have been offended by the ideal, we as Black People got voodoo other people don't have.
Sports may be the exception where God really blesses the top 2 percent of the population with height, speed, power and ability.

However, in every sport I played...take basket ball for example...I had to work hard to get better.

In an effort to stay sharp. I studied game film of some of my favorite players. Then I studied film of players I didn't like at the time like Larry Bird and got a renewed respect for their games and added what I could to my game. NO MAGIC THOUGH.

My body won't let me play ball like I used to but I spent many hours on the court working on going left, shooting jumpers, ect...no MAGIC involved.

Fast forward to today...when I take the skills I have such as being a DJ and then use those skills to create a legacy and a business...again hard work....some one explain to me the MAGIC?

I am always concerned that we refuse be for real with younger people about life.

MOST OF THEM will NOT be the next Jay Z or LeBron...and that's okay.
Should they decide to play ball or become MC's...they should enjoy the ride, and even develop a plan to make money. However, I don't believe there is a "fairy God Brother" out there granting wishes and "hook ups."
Too Short and MC Hammer for example became Hip Hop House Hold Names because they sold CD's and tapes to people out of the trunk of their cars. This involved hard work and yes LOVE....don't recall the magic.

I know for some people...the concept of a father , being with his father and working a 8 hour a day JOB, is "lame, "square" and a lot of other cool ways to say "corny."

However, the "magic" I will always remember with my dad was discussing the importance of HARD WORK and Being Honest.

My father had nothing against short cuts and invested lots of money into my career as an visual artist...so he wasn't against ART or MAGIC. Raymond Tyler, SR just wanted me to understand , that I have what it takes already to WORK HARD , THINK SMART and create my own success and opportunity...because chances are very slim...that I will be sitting in the mall drawing in my sketch book and Stan Lee will come and offer me a million dollar contract. with Marvel comics

So I do not want to tear down anyone's dream of becoming the next Dr. Dre by making the best beats in the world in your bed room for the artists on the album covers in your collection. I would say...instead of waiting on some "MAGIC" get OUT THERE with them beats...and give the world the results of your hard work...and one day some kid in HIS/HER bed room will be making beats while YOUR CD cover hangs on a wall.

My name is Raymond Tyler , Jr. and I am REAL and I WORK HARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment